Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Repairs and modifications are almost complete

I was planning on writing a technical article for this post, but it got to be about 10 pages of explanation of how to calculate a great deal about the performance of a tire; then, I honestly got bored or writing. I'll save it and post it someday after I've completed the whole study and actually validate my software on the kart. I'm hoping that once I've finished the code, it will predict my lap times based on the set-up. Coding and deriving all of this has been very entertaining, but writing the post became a bear. It'll take a while to complete, so until then, I'll just entertain myself with big loud noises and lots of speed.


So new hardware has appeared at my door thanks to the birthday gnome. A new Righetti radiator to replace the other..... thing.


Here are the two radiators laying side-by-side.


The new radiator is slightly larger but is also a better design over all. It will also close the loop on all the places the kart could be leaking water from. I will keep the old as a spare, but hopefully this will close the chapter on cooling system issues.


The first task of the day though was to put in the fuel return line from the fuel pump. Up until now, the return line was blocked off and therefore was trying to send all of the fuel to the carburetor. The motor I am using was designed to only have a small amount of pressure at the carburetor. Doing this should, in the end, make the fuel delivery more steady and along the lines of how the motor was designed to operate. In the pictures below the green-blue fuel line is the fuel return line.


IMAG0072


IMAG0079


IMAG0078




Then came mounting the radiator. This required some elbow grease and some scrounging around for parts. A simple vice-grip is on my 'to-buy' list.


IMAG0119


IMAG0099



A small amount of re-threading of one of the steering connection rods was also in order. I replaced the rod-end bearings as well. The first picture is the red end with the tapping device attached. The second is the reinstalled assembly.


IMAG0127


IMAG0136


All that is needed now is to rework the shifting lever. The shifter has some bad play in the mountings. So when I try to shift gears, sometimes the gear leaver will move quite a long ways without changing gears. However, by the time I notice the gear has not changed, I am already either into the corner and it is too late to change now or I am already around the corner. Either way it costs me a bit of time to mess around with something that should be almost instantaneous.

I'll post pics as that progresses as well. That will all be completed this coming weekend I hope. Then, perhaps, I can head to the track on Tuesday.

Till next time,

-S

No comments: