Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Very short update

I haven't made much time to work on the kart lately, but it hasn't stopped me from learning about every nut and bolt.

Here was one of today's discoveries and I am going to share it so that no one else will make the mistake.

As you recall I switched my o-rings in the brake system to o-rings made of a much harder and chemically resistant material called Viton. Turns out that the brake fluid that I am using, DOT-4 is glycol-based. Which cause the viton to swell, melt, and fail over time. So the solution is to switch to the silicon based DOT-5 fluid and replace all of the o-rings again. 

It's science,

-S


Update on this effort: After inspecting all of the viton rings, i could find no immediate evidence of swelling. However the use and temperature conditions were minimal. I did not replace any of the o-rings, but i did clean each one, and flush out the brake system of all DOT4 fluid and replace it with DOT5.

No comments: